Information Governance/Electronic Records Specialist
Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, our over 400 lawyers are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Calgary, Vancouver and New York.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management and staff have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to begin a career or carve out a new path.
Osler is currently recruiting for an Information Governance/Electronic Records Specialist to join Osler’s Conflicts & Records Management group. The Information Governance/Electronic Records Specialist will be responsible for leading the development of processes, work practices, training, controls and technology improvements to effectively manage client matter information and records in support of the Firms operational needs and Records Management strategy.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Support Firm lawyers and assistants in the management of physical and electronic client matter information in the form of documents, records, and files in accordance with Firm information governance policies and procedures.
- Electronic content management: Design and implement strategy to reduce dependence on paper and reduce paper storage. Provide guidance to firm members in activities related to scanning, email management and electronic filing. Work with practice groups, lawyers and/or assistants to ensure the electronic matter files are properly maintained within DMS
- Analysis of client materials designated for offsite storage in accordance with Firm information governance policies. Work with lawyers and assistants to cull physical materials that exist electronically and are not required to be stored offsite
- Develop policies and procedures for tracking matter content stored in various systems
- Lead efforts and make recommendations for the organization and classification of records
- Administer process for collection, review and release of Client Data/Matter Transfers for incoming and departing legal professional in accordance with letters of direction, liaise with Finance, Technology, administrators and other offices (electronic and physical records)
- Provide records management Onboarding Training for legal professionals
- Support the litigation hold process, identify records to hold, track hold process, and coordinate with other departments
- Will be interacting with legal practice areas, administrative departments and involves direct interactions with partners, senior legal staff and administrative managers in all offices
- Identify and/or participate in the evaluation of tools to enhance best practices and test new products and software
- Maintenance of the Record Department’s intranet page which includes editing and updating of various policies, procedures and forms under the direction of the Records Manager
- Assist with Special Projects and perform other related duties as assigned
Education and Experience
The position requires a College diploma in Business Administration or Records Management, Library Science, or Information Science or other related field plus four years relevant information governance/ records management experience. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be acceptable. Legal industry experience is preferred.
Knowledge and Skills
- Proficiency in computer systems and software applications including Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel) as well as the firm’s Document Management System, Records Management Software, Document Imaging Software, and any additional firm applications used to manage client matter records and information
- Knowledge of archival data storage, records preservation procedures, practices and techniques; Strong experience in records management, retention schedules, litigation holds, policy, storage and retrieval, best practices for records management systems
- Strong experience with electronic records management, digitization of records and related information systems
- Advanced research and problem solving skills with the ability to gather and analyze information, exercise sound judgement, resolve issues in a timely manner
- Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; strong attention to detail; highly motivated and results driven
- Advanced time management and organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and prioritize conflicting demands in a high-volume and deadline-driven environment;
- Maintain a professional demeanor; be service oriented with ability to effectively interact with all levels of personnel. Responds promptly to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as strong presentation skills; Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions.
- Exceptional negotiation and teamwork skills to interact/collaborate with various groups; Work effectively and balance the responsibilities as a team member as well as independently;
- Ability to maintain absolute confidentiality of information
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is an equal opportunity employer, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada’s leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date to:
Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP
P.O. Box 50, 1 First Canadian Place
Toronto, ON M5X 1B8
Closing date: June 30, 2017
No agencies or phone calls please.