is a leading international business law and litigation firm. Our firm’s 700 lawyers are located across offices in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, Montréal, Québec City, London and Johannesburg. Providing strategic and thoughtful advice in all areas of business law, our broad range of clients include close to half of the Fortune 100 companies, as well as corporate clients, government agencies, regulatory authorities, non-profit bodies and individuals.
We are a high-achieving, professional, entrepreneurial, team-oriented, and friendly place to work. We are committed to diversity and inclusion, and offer a welcoming environment for all people. While we are here to service our clients and are a deadline-driven industry, we look to be innovative, and there are opportunities to participate in initiatives which make a difference in our firm and community as well as to attend Firm social events.
Achieve excellence doing work that’s challenging and rewarding, with people you’ll like working with, in an environment that’s welcoming, supportive, entrepreneurial and innovative, where you’re a valued contributor, not just an employee. For additional information about the firm or this position, please visit our website at www.fasken.com.
CONFLICTS COORDINATOR – Contract (1 year)
The successful candidate will perform various administrative functions related to conflicts checking and the conflicts resolution process. In particular the role involves providing administrative support to lawyers performing the required conflicts checks for new business intake and lateral hires. Ensuring the required stages of the conflicts process are completed prior to file opening, assisting the Regional Conflicts Partner in relation to the performance of the conflicts process and performing the administrative functions for the creation and maintenance of ethical walls are all major aspects of this role.
Hours of work are from 10 am to 6 pm. Occasional pre-authorized overtime may be required to meet client needs.
At Fasken Martineau, success means:
- Ability to work independently with minimum direct supervision
- Superior analytical, interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to understand, analyze and explain complex reports to lawyers about conflict issues
- Ability to work under pressure, managing multiple priorities and work within extremely tight deadlines
- A strong client service approach – ready, willing, and able
- Being organized, with high attention to detail and accuracy when completing tasks
- Being proactive and taking initiative in anticipation of next steps
- Bilingualism is not mandatory but is an asset.
- Execution of conflict searches as requested by the originating lawyers including preliminary review and analysis of the results before sending the report to the lawyer
- Co-ordination of conflicts resolution procedures and assessment of endorsed conflict report results ensuring Firm and regulatory requirements are satisfied prior to file opening
- Report directly to the Conflicts Partner on any relevant issues and working closely with conflicts personnel in other offices or relevant departments including, IT and Accounting to execute all conflicts resolution processes
- Work with lawyers and assistants to open files as part of the Work Intake process including main file creation and scanning of Client Identification Documentation
- Creation and maintenance of Ethical Walls including the update and maintenance of the Ethical Wall/Conflicts Databases
- Carry a pager to provide on-call services on a rotational basis to answer after-hour requests.
Required Knowledge and Experience
- Degree in Records and Information Management or Library Science. Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration and/or paralegal training may also be considered
- Experience in a law firm relating to conflicts of interest or new business
- Knowledge of ethical, legal and risk management rules and requirements governing conflicts of interest and conflicts resolution processes
- Strong working knowledge of computer software programs, including databases
This role reports to the Director, Conflicts and Records Management.
Accessibility and Accommodation
It is important to our Firm that all its members, including those with disabilities, find our workplace to be welcoming and supportive. Reasonable accommodations are available on request for candidates with disabilities taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Any offer of employment may be conditional upon full background checks including a criminal record check, a credit check and employment and educational verifications. A reference check will also be conducted.
Qualified candidates are asked to submit their application by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the position you are applying for in your cover letter. We appreciate hearing from all qualified candidates, however, only those applicants whose background and experience match our requirements will be contacted. No telephone calls, please.
NO AGENCIES, PLEASE.